Monday, May 3, 2021

Emergence

Like many people I have been vaccinated for COVID-19 and will soon have the maximum immunity. I understand that this does not mean I will be totally unable to catch or spread the virus, which remains deadly to many people. 

Based on trusted guidance about the risks:

I will avoid being inside with people who I don’t know are vaccinated unless they are masked and there is proper ventilation and room for social distancing (in which case I will also be masked and will minimize extended contact).

When outdoors, I will wear a mask only when in extended close contact with people I don’t know are vaccinated.

Until herd immunity is achieved, the need to occasional sneeze and blow my nose due to persistent allergies will make it difficult to avoid freaking people out, so I will avoid being with others (unless we are all vaccinated) for more than an hour at a time.

The main difference from behavior before vaccination is that I am considering going indoors for other than unavoidable medical reasons.

My preference for entirely remote employment is consistent with my attitude about the virus. I have recently decided that I will also be willing to make infrequent visits to an office subject to the constraints above. My other reasons for remote work remain strong ones:

My creativity and productivity are maximized when not subject to interruptions and expectations inconsistent with my work style.

Commuting is dangerous as well as costly in resources and time; it should be avoided where it can be.

I am in the process of changing my living conditions to match my values and abilities; an associated move would not risk interrupting remote work.

I intend to continue working on my own projects, which would benefit from spending more time at home and having more control over my schedule.


No comments:

Post a Comment